If you receive too much Camptosar (irinotecan), it could lead to potentially serious problems, such as an infection and dehydration. The specific effects will depend on various factors, such as the amount that was given and whether it was combined with other drugs. Treatment for an overdose will likely include close monitoring for complications and treating any problems that occur.
Can You Receive Too Much Camptosar?Camptosar® (irinotecan) is a prescription medication given intravenously (by IV) to treat certain types of cancer. As with most medications, it is probably possible to receive too much Camptosar.
The specific effects of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Camptosar dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Symptoms of an OverdoseAn overdose with this medicine can cause an increase in the usual side effects. The most serious overdose symptoms are an abnormally low level of white blood cells and severe diarrhea. These problems could cause life-threatening infection and dehydration.
Other effects of a Camptosar overdose may include but are not limited to:
- Runny nose
- Watery eyes
- Increased salivation (watery mouth)
- Constricted or shrinking pupils
- Flushing (sudden redness and warmth of the face, neck, and chest)
- Abdominal (stomach) cramping
- Nausea and vomiting
- Severe anemia
- Bleeding problems.
Treatment for a Camptosar OverdoseThere is no specific antidote for a Camptosar overdose. Therefore, treatment for this type of overdose will mainly involve close monitoring and supportive care. Supportive care consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, people with dangerously low white blood cell counts (who will be at risk for an infection) may be given an antibiotic.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have received too much Camptosar.