Colon Cancer Home > Eloxatin Overdose
Some of the problems that have occurred due to overdoses on Eloxatin (oxaliplatin) include difficulty talking, vomiting, and even death. The effects of an overdose will depend on how much of the drug was given and whether it was used in combination with other products. Because there is no antidote for this type of overdose, treatment will likely include close monitoring and supportive care.
Can You Receive Too Much Eloxatin?Eloxatin® (oxaliplatin) is a prescription chemotherapy medication given as an intravenous (IV) infusion (a slow injection into a vein) as part of a combination treatment regimen. It is usually given once every two weeks. As with any medicine, it is probably possible to overdose on this product.
The specific effects of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Eloxatin dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
- Allergic reactions
- Bone marrow problems, which can cause low blood cell counts
- Very low platelet counts (which increases the risk for bleeding)
- Anemia (low red blood cell counts)
- Nerve problems, which could cause:
- Numbness, tingling, pricking, or burning sensations
- Difficulty talking or breathing
- Facial muscle spasms
- Nausea and vomiting
- Ulcers and inflammation in the mouth
- Enlarged abdomen (stomach)
- Intestinal blockage
- Breathing problems
- Chest pain
- An extremely slow heartbeat
- Loss of life.