Colon Cancer Home > Tonalin CLA Side Effects
Although obtaining CLA through dietary means is unlikely to cause significant problems, taking this substance in dietary supplements (such as with Tonalin CLA) may cause some negative reactions. Some possible Tonalin CLA side effects may include nausea, diarrhea, and fatigue. The supplement may also cause potentially serious problems, such as high blood sugar levels, low HDL cholesterol, and allergic reactions.
Does Tonalin CLA Cause Side Effects?Tonalin® CLA is a dietary supplement that contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which occurs naturally in dairy products and certain meats. Tonalin CLA, however, is made from safflower oil. While CLA obtained through dietary means is unlikely to cause significant side effects, Tonalin CLA could cause problems, some of which may be serious.
Serious Side Effects of Tonalin CLASome side effects with Tonalin CLA should be reported to your healthcare provider and might indicate you should stop taking the supplement. These include but are not limited to:
- High blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia), as one of the isomers in Tonalin CLA might make your body more resistant to insulin
- Low levels of HDL cholesterol ("good cholesterol")
- High C-reactive protein (CRP), an inflammatory protein that can be a sign of problems
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.