Colon Cancer Home > Tonalin CLA Warnings
If you have heart disease or diabetes, you should talk to your healthcare provider about Tonalin CLA warnings and precautions before using the product. Certain forms of this supplement may increase blood sugar and insulin levels, which may cause problems for people with these conditions. Tonalin CLA safety concerns also apply to people with certain allergies and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Is Tonalin CLA Safe?When used appropriately, Tonalin® CLA is probably safe for many people. However, some people may be more likely to experience problems with it than others. Therefore, you should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this supplement if you have:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Specific Tonalin CLA Warnings and PrecautionsSome warnings and precautions to be aware of concerning the safety of Tonalin CLA include the following:
- Tonalin CLA contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). There are different forms of CLA (known as "isomers"). One particular isomer may increase blood sugar and insulin levels, which may cause problems for people with diabetes or heart disease. If you have either of these conditions, check with your healthcare provider before taking a CLA supplement. It is not clear if this is a true problem for Tonalin CLA, which contains the isomer in question along with a different CLA isomer.
- One isomer of CLA may increase the level of C-reactive protein (CRP), an inflammatory protein in the blood. This may be particularly undesirable in people with heart disease or who are at risk for heart disease.
- It is not known if Tonalin CLA interacts with medications (see Tonalin CLA Drug Interactions for more information).
- It is unknown if Tonalin CLA is safe for use during pregnancy or breastfeeding (see CLA and Pregnancy and CLA and Breastfeeding).