Colon Cancer Home > Vectibix Overdose
Skin reactions, diarrhea, and dehydration could occur if someone receives too much Vectibix (panitumumab). This drug is administered by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, so an overdose is unlikely to occur. However, if there is a miscalculation of the amount and an overdose does occur, treatment would likely involve supportive care to treat any symptoms that result.
Can You Receive Too Much Vectibix?Vectibix® (panitumumab) is a prescription medication given as an intravenous (IV) infusion (a slow injection into a vein) to treat certain types of colorectal cancer (cancer of the colon and rectum). Because this drug is an IV medication, it is given by a trained healthcare provider in a healthcare setting. Therefore, an intentional Vectibix overdose is unlikely to occur.
However, an overdose could happen in some situations, such as if a miscalculation of the dose resulted in too much medicine being given. The effects of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Vectibix dosage and whether it was combined with any other medications or substances.
Symptoms of an OverdoseBased on reports of up to twice the recommended Vectibix dosage being given, symptoms of an overdose may include:
- Skin reactions, such as:
- An acne-like rash
- Other rashes
- Red, dry, peeling, or cracking skin
Treatment for a Vectibix OverdoseTreatment for an overdose may vary. Naturally, if the drug is still being given, the infusion will be stopped. Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care for a Vectibix overdose may include IV fluids to treat dehydration.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have received too much Vectibix.