Treatment for Rectal CancerPeople with rectal cancer have many treatment options available to them. These rectal cancer treatment options include:
- Surgery (see Rectal Cancer Surgery)
- Radiation therapy (see Rectal Cancer Radiation)
- Chemotherapy (see Rectal Cancer Chemotherapy).
Many people receive more than one type of treatment. The choice of treatment depends mainly on the stage of rectal cancer. Your doctor can describe your treatment options and the expected results.
Prognosis With Rectal CancerThe rectal cancer prognosis (chance of recovery) depends on the following:
- The stage of the cancer (whether it affects the inner lining of the rectum only, involves the whole rectum, or has spread to other places in the body)
- The person's general health
- Whether the cancer has just been diagnosed or has recurred (come back).